Thinking of what to make for breakfast?

Are you thinking of what to have for breakfast? 


Here is a quick idea for you, its simple and nourishing, less time consuming and not expensive.

So what's the idea? You obviously have gotten the idea seeing the image above.
But yeah, bean cake and Pap, usually called 'Akara and ogi or Akamu' in Nigeria.
Last time I shared on how you could make 'Gbegiri' soup, and today I'm sharing with you on making Bean cake. 

 I am one of those who wake up thinking of what to prepare for breakfast. So as usual this morning, I was just busy scrolling my phone and browsing on the net what I could make for breakfast. You know, we all do this sometimes especially at this age where internet makes life easy. 

 Ultimately, I got that idea- 'Ogi and Akara'. Since I had the ingredients in my kitchen, made it so easy for me to decide. Note, if you don't have Ogi, don't be discouraged, you could as well use custard.

So, bean cake (Akara) is a kind of food/snack which is obviously made with beans as the name implies, It's delicious, fluffy inside and crunchy outside and quite easy to prepare, usually prepared and enjoyed by Africans. However, a very unusual food for most people. 

On the other hand, Pap (Ogi or Akamu), the English calls it wet corn starch; is simple yet very difficult to prepare. It is a big challenge for a lot of people. In West Africa -Nigeria where I come from, we usually add evaporated milk to Akamu meals so the main requirement is that the akamu/ogi/pap is thick after preparation so that when the milk is added, a perfect consistency will be achieved. But, let's just focus on the making of bean cake (Akara) today. 

To avoid long story, let's get started! 

How I prepared my Akara 
Ingredients; 
  • 1 cup Beans
  • 2 balls of Scotch bonnet ( pepper)
  • 2 balls of Onions
  • Groundnut oil
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 cube of Maggi

Preparation;

  1. Using any kind of beans, brown or white. I use brown preferably. First thing you should do is to wash and peel off the outer layer of the beans. Check image 1
  2. Add some water to enable it blend easily, be sure to add your onion and your pepper. In my case I added one onion and for blending and diced the other. 
  3. Blend thoroughly, and be sure you are using a very strong blender for this. Blend as long as you can to get a smooth consistency. Adding little water tea spoon by tea spoon if necessary. Check image 2
The point is, Akara doesn't need a lot of water, so you would need to be very careful. You want to make sure you get a thicken consistency.
4.   After then, I added a little salt to taste and a cube of Maggi, some people do away with Maggi, but my dear brethren, do whatever that works for you, your goal is getting a tasty Akara.😃
5.     Place your frying pan with oil on the fire with a low/medium heat. Akara needs to be fried properly, to get it done, lower the heat so it would cook properly from the inside and not just getting brown outwardly. You could as well add little water to the hot oil on fire before adding your Akara. That's my strategy and its absolutely optional. 

Fry until its becomes light brown and there you go. Akara is ready!

Image 1
Image 2

Image 3: Akara and Akamu is ready

Incase you're wondering, the Akamu is yet without milk. Thank you for spending your precious time on my blog again. I appreciate your support and see you soon.














   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My short stay experience in Dubai

HOW I MADE MY 'GBEGIRI' SOUP

10 facts you probably dont know about me